Friday, 5 September 2014

Wild Geese and Warm Pearls

I found this poem, Wild Geese by Mary Oliver, and I responded to it, because I couldn't help but write. What a treasure of a poem.
I know it's a duck, but let's just pretend it's a goose.

Wild Geese
You do not have to be good.
You do not have to walk on your knees
for a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.
Tell me about despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
Meanwhile the world goes on.
Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
are moving across the landscapes,
over the prairies and the deep trees,
the mountains and the rivers.
Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
are heading home again.
Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
the world offers itself to your imagination,
calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting–
over and over announcing your place
in the family of things.

My response
These tears are like warm pearls
in the corner of my eyes.
My head dips in dizziness
and the world disappears for a moment.
I read the words again
and again
again
They wash over me
small comforts in a world 
that doesn’t seem to care.
I am sitting so still
I can feel the air move past my face.
A song circles in my head
heartbreakingly sad
but the words return me
they take me back to reality.
thank-you
thank-you
thank-you for reminding me that the world goes on.

16 comments:

  1. A poised, heartwarming response. Consider me your new reader Emma! And thanks, once again, for the lovely comment on my blog. I'm so glad it prompted me to take a look at yours x

    LUCID STARS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you Rachel :) I'm so glad I found your blog too!

      Delete
  2. This was great Emma! I love how you responded to it. Poetry is love! ♥

    Anne's Scribbles and Doodles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry is indeed love! I haven't written a poem for a while, and I had forgotten how wonderful it is. :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful poem, and beautiful response! I absolutely love what you wrote, and it inspires me to write more poetry soon. I'm so glad I was poking around on your blog today; I'll definitely be coming back for more!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! It's really nice for me that you were having a look at my blog, because I really love your blog! :)

      Delete
  4. You are such a gift to this world Emma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful words!

    cultkid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! I'm thinking that they would be lovely framed. :)

      Delete
  6. :) so glad we both found this poem together. It truly is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got in a trance reading this poem. I love your blog name! You just earned a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank-you very much! And we share a name too, I'll have to check out your blog. :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...