Wednesday, 10 September 2014

The Great Unknown - Lissa

One of Lissa's beautiful drawings that is a semi-self portrait :)
What subjects did you take in your last year of school? What were your favourite subjects?
The last one, I think, was a English Literature class where we read stories and talk about them. I think there was a choice between that class and something else that I had to take in order to graduate. I guess I somehow missed a few credits. I think I did a lot of staring at the floor in that class. It was quite slow and very quiet as most of the students weren't up to talking and neither was I.
Favorite subject? I would say 'life drawing/painting.' There was this one class with a male model though I have no memory of what he looked like and it's probably because I pretty much spent the whole time looking at anything but the center of him, so to speak. Yeah, I was a complete prude back then. It was also my first time seeing a naked guy and I'm pretty sure I was not the only one who was uncomfortable.

What did you do in your first year after leaving school?
Nothing much. That is to say, I sent out resumes, replied to phone calls, went on job interviews and not much else. There was one particular incident that happened during that period that stayed with me. I was yelled/scolded at (via phone) for canceling an interview, which I thought was very unprofessional of the lady. It wasn't even an interview for a job but a job placement center where they try to place you for a job. She yelled at me and threatened me that I would never work in this town again or something similar as I cannot remember her exact words. Since I can't remember her name or her company, I cannot even ask her why or what was it that I did to offend her. I don't think canceling an appointment should be met with such harsh treatment. All that yelling freaked me out for a couple of days. I really thought something terrible would happen. I could hardly function for those few days. I just wished I had hanged up on her sooner. I could still remember that day but it's more cloudy now of cause but, things like stays with you a long while.

If you have had more than one job since you left school, what were they?
I once worked in a police station. Well, 'work' might not be the right term. Perhaps it was like being an intern of sorts. It was one of those summer programs that I've enrolled in. I did some filing and lots of hanging around the station along with these two guys whom seemed more comfortable being there than me. All I remember from the experience is the smell of someone's cologne, music on the radio and how clean the station was. Honestly, I did enjoyed being there even if I was bore half of the time.

What job are you doing at the moment and what does it entail? Do you enjoy it?
I'm a graphic designer. I mostly design newsletters, stationary, logos, posters, really just union-related publications and public relations materials. I do enjoy the work but the schedule is kind of wacky — either it's crazy-busy or slow-crawling but it's very pleasant and I get to do what I want during the weekends.

What job do you want to be doing at the moment?
Right now? I really just like to take a long vacation. Hot weather makes me want to slack off.  But if given the choice, I guess I would like to write fiction/novels. I mean not everyone gets their dream jobs and not everyone gets to do what they love but you can still think about it.

Do you have any regrets? Or any advice?
Doesn't everybody have regrets? Mostly I don't remember them but they appear every now and then as if to remind me I shouldn't think about them.
Advice? I do find advice helpful but when I really need it, I don't remember it. But I suppose if someone came up to me and ask for advice, I would give it to them even if it sounds cliche and cheesy. So my advice is: go and do your own thing. Worry about other people's opinion much, much later or not at all.  Of cause, you don't have take my advice. You are your own person and you do what you like.

Thank-you Lissa!!! This lovely lady has the most beautiful drawings, and writes the sweetest stories, I highly recommend her blog. I think it is awesome that she is working in the creative industry, I love to hear about people with jobs like hers, because everyone close to me in real life just has your typical sort of job, like a doctor, or a teacher, or an accountant. I found this interview very encouraging. :)

15 comments:

  1. A great interview, and beautiful drawings. The life drawing class made me laugh, makes me think of my first life drawing class! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I found that funny too. I have never taken life drawing, but I can only imagine how awkward I would be in that situation! :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely illustrations! And lovely interview as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her illustrations are beautiful, I have been tempted many times by her shop!

      Delete
  3. Really did enjoy reading this one. :) Lissa has a real, tangible wisdom to offer and her perspectives are endearing. Not to mention she makes an excellent graphic designer. I mean, I'm just about in love with her illustrations. Hope she gets her long-overdue vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Emma for this interview. I really enjoyed answering the questions. I'm thinking of doing a similiar interview series but I haven't decided on what it should it. If I ever decide on doing one, I would definitely ask you to participate. thanks again.

    hope have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok Lissa, it was a pleasure to have you on the blog. :)
      I'm sure you'll think of a wonderful series, I would love to participate if you ever do decide to do one. :)

      Delete
  5. thank you for this interview with Lissa. I so enjoyed reading what she had to share. i have enjoyed her art and writing for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's all good! I loved reading it too. :)

      Delete
  6. I adore Lissa and am so glad to read this interview. Isn't her art just wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! Lissa is an amazing person. :)

      Delete
  7. Such an interesting interview, I always love to learn more about you, Lissa! You are such a wonderful and talented person! And it is also great to discover Emmas's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this, Lissa is so talented! and it's always nice to see someone do things their own way :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...