Wednesday, 3 September 2014

The Great Unknown - Jess


What subjects did you take in your last year of school? What were your favourite subjects?
In my last year of school I took Advanced Placement History, General art, physics, statistics, law, English, and French. I definitely enjoyed history, art, and English the most, and very much despised Physics and French (I didn’t need those classes, either! Not sure why I took them, haha).


What did you do in your first year after leaving school?
I went straight into College for an Interior Decorating diploma. In hindsight that was a horrible call, and I would have done much better taking a year off. Unfortunately, back then, it was pretty widely accepted to just go straight into uni, and not many people took a year off. I’ve since gone back to school for something completely different (more on that in a bit!)


Did you do any tertiary education? If so, what was it?
Not entirely certain was tertiary education is - I did 4 years high school, then straight into post-secondary (ie. College/Uni)
(quick note here, in NZ we call anything after high school tertiary, because there are polytechnics, which are more like hands on learning, and don't go to as high a level as universities)


If you have had more than one job since you left school, what were they?
After I graduated from Interior Decorating I worked for a year in a Decorating store as a colour consultant. I really didn’t like it, so I chose to go back to school for something completely different. I’m now taking my Bachelor of Science in Nursing at University, and am in my 3rd year.


What job are you doing at the moment and what does it entail? Do you enjoy it?
Right now I’m finishing up my Bachelor of Science in Nursing, so I’m just working part-time at a restaurant job while I do that. I don’t enjoy it at all, haha.


What job do you want to be doing at the moment?
I would love to be a Nurse, but I have another year left of school! Can’t wait until I graduate and can do something I find meaningful.


Do you have any regrets? Or any advice?
I don’t regret it, because it got me to move to a different city, but I would not have gone for my interior decorating diploma. It was a waste of time, since you don’t actually need it to be an interior decorator, and there are very few jobs here for it.
I would recommend that if you aren’t sure what to do, take a year off to think about it! Travel a little, see the world, find yourself, and then decide what you want to do!

Thank-you very much for being on my blog Jess!!! I have known Jess pretty much since the beginning of my blog, and I've loved participating in her Photography Friday link-up, so it is kind of awesome that now I got to find out a little more about her life and where she's going. :)

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! And by golly she is has some good advice too, it is totally true, if you don't know what to do after school then go and get some life experience with a job and eventually you'll figure out where you belong. I didn't work it out till I was 23!
    I love reading about the people in your life :)

    J.C Lemon xx
    www.jc-lemon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J.C.! I'm so pleased you're blogging again :)

      Delete
  2. Really nice to see another post like this. Always good to see other bloggers out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was such a good read Emma. I love that advice bit a lot Jess!

    www.annescribblesanddoodles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous human Jess is! I am headed over to her blog now, I love finding new people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures, I love white on white outfits. I agree with Jess in that if you don't know what you want to do, it's good to take a year off before deciding whether to go to university. I can relate to that as I went to uni not knowing what I wanted to do and then changing to another degree.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...