Wednesday, 7 May 2014

The Great Unknown - Sam


What subjects did you take in your last year of school? What were your favourite subjects?
In my last years of school, I did Mathematics Advanced, English Advanced, Chemistry Accelerated, Business Studies, Legal Studies and Economics. My favourite subject was probably English. I had the best teacher and she made learning just so interesting. It’s her I have to thank for my interest and passion in writing and blogging.

What did you do in your first year after leaving school?
I went straight to university. Looking back I slightly regret not taking a gap year to travel but it just didn’t happen that way I suppose.

Did you do any tertiary education? If so, what was it?
Yes, my university degree was a Bachelor of Commerce, majoring in Marketing and Public Relations, at the University of Notre Dame Sydney. It was a wonderful 3-year course that I would recommend to anyone.

If you have had more than one job since you left school, what were they?
I worked casually throughout university and it was great for the poor uni student that I was. I worked at Boost Juice, Myer and Cotton On. I also did an unpaid and a paid internship in marketing. One with a Foxtel channel and another at my high school, so I guess you could say I kept myself pretty busy!


What job are you doing at the moment and what does it entail? Do you enjoy it?
After I graduated from university, I went through a series of full time jobs that were in the corporate city world. To the naked eye they were the perfect jobs, they were prestigious, they paid well and people fought hard to get into these roles. Sadly though, they weren’t for me. I wasn’t satisfied and they made me anxious and unsettled. I ended up leaving both of them and taking a few months off for my health and general wellbeing. Now I work at a smaller company that is more local to me and I enjoy it so much more because it allows me to pursue my career in photography on the side. It’s a small marketing job that is a family business and I feel right at home there. Couldn’t ask for much more.

How would you rate your job in terms of pay, energy put in, work environment, and job satisfaction?
My full time job at the moment isn’t a $100K job by any means but it gets me through and it pays the bills and for that I am grateful. I would rather be earning pennies than be earning millions and being unhappy. Life is too short. My job now isn’t the most exciting job but like I said before it leaves me time to do other things when I get home or on the weekends, such as my photography. While it’s hard balancing two jobs, its great to be able to have one that is more stable and secure and one that is fulfilling my dreams.
As always, Sam's photography is incredible :)


What job do you want to be doing at the moment?
The goal is to work fulltime in photography but right now I don’t have the resources to be doing that. For the mean time I will keep working fulltime in my little marketing job until I know photography is a stable career choice for me. I like having my day job during the week and having photography for the weekends. It keeps me on my toes and leaves me with stability too which I firmly believe young people need.

Do you have any regrets? Or any advice?
Regrets? Not entirely. I said before I wish I travelled when I was younger but I am still young and I still have time so I am not entirely worried about that. I would give the advice though to not succumb to the pressures of society. I got the job that people told me to get, the one that ‘looked good’ and paid well, but I was unhappy and it made me unwell. Don’t waste your life doing things that you’re not passionate about. Find your dreams and pursue it. If you need to have a little job on the side to fund that dream then that’s okay, everyone needs stability, but never quit on your dream! Never ever!

Thank-you so much Sam!! I loved reading this. I think that what you say about having a job to fund your dream is a great way of putting it, I feel very inspired. :)
I will hopefully have one of these posts up each Wednesday, along with a normal post in the weekend. Sorry I missed the weekend just been, life happened. :)

 photo emma2_zps6817450c.png

11 comments:

  1. Emma, thanks so much for featuring me on your blog this week! It's been so wonderful to be a part of this series. Can't wait to read more :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I'm even more excited to catch up later this month!

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, so am I!!!! Its gonna be so awesome!!! :)

      Delete
  2. this is neat. she is one of my favorite bloggers. beautiful pictures, and i love her job story
    thanks for sharing
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's one of my favourite bloggers too :)

      Delete
  3. This was so great and encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so lovely! I learnt a lot about Sam!
    I'm really loving this idea :)

    What beautiful photographs too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we talk about how long and nice my hair is here. I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was beautiful :) But it is beautiful now too. To be honest I'm a tiny bit envious that you can wear your hair short, mine doesn't look good short at all!!! :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...