Saturday, 10 May 2014

Books are the best :)

Hey guys,
So, I was thinking about it, and I haven't really done a post about books in a while. So, seen as I love books and they are a big part of my life, I thought I would talk a little bit about the books I have been reading recently. :)
Working backwards from my most recently read book;


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I really enjoy Rainbow Rowell's books, I loved Eleanor and Park, so I was excited to read this one. It was so good, and at one point I was reading it, and I looked down and realised that I wasn't even halfway through the book yet, and that made me so happy because there was still so much more of the book left to go. #neverwantingbookstoend
I have to say though, what made me even happier was the fact that I could share this sentiment with the author of the book, through the wondrous site that is Twitter! Technology can be very cool sometimes. :) It is about a girl (Cath) who writes fan fiction about a series called Simon Snow, and her finding her way in the world, and exploring who she wants to be as a writer.
The only thing that bugged me a little was the parallels between the fan fiction that the main character writes and Harry Potter, but I quickly got over that because of how good of a book it was.





Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Wicked is the untold story of the Wicked Witch of the West, and I find it to be an immensely satisfying book. It makes the Wizard of Oz make about ten times more sense, and it is just really cool to read about why the witch was "evil". The Wizard of Oz, like most childhood stories, was very black and white in it's portrayal of good and evil, whereas Wicked, like most adult books, shows us the shades of grey that people really fall under. I found Elphaba (the Witch) to be a very likeable character, and while I didn't always agree with her decisions, I could respect that they were decisions true to her character and her upbringing.
Wicked has also been made into a musical, but I highly recommend the book as well, because it is quite different to the musical, and there is a lot more information in the book than in the musical.





Also, I found this short films channel on youtube which has the cutest, really well made, films and I have no idea why they don't have more views. If you have read Fangirl, you should definitely watch this one, this series on kissing in the rain made me smile, especially the ending, and this one was just refreshingly different from other things I have been watching recently.

I hope you guys are having a lovely week. :)
 photo emma_zpsa25ad91c.png

12 comments:

  1. hi Emma!
    these look promising. i've seen FanGirl at my library and am familiar with the author, so i might have to check that out! i, too, love the feeling when i look down and there's still many pages left in a good book.
    thanks for the recommendations. oh, and i'll have to check out the YouTube links!
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abigail! You should definitely check out Fangirl (as if that wasn't obvious from the post above), and you are welcome in regards to the recommendations :)

      Delete
  2. I love Fangirl, although I had the opposite problem, when I looked down one day I realised I had almost finished the book which is the worst! It was such a happy book and then after I read Elanor and Park and I was not prepared for that sadness of that one! But I loved them both :)x

    http://libbyjade26.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happened to me the next time I looked down, there were only a few pages left and, as you say, it really was the worst! It was a happy book, I read Eleanor and Park first, but like you I love them both. Rainbow Rowell is a very good author. :)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVED Fangirl! It wasn't a book I normally would've read but after seeing so many rave reviews on the blogs I took the plunge and gave it a shot. Without a doubt it's one of the best books I've read so far this year! It just made me so happy! Until the end when it was finished when I felt like I'd just lost a friend or something! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you took the plunge! Books are like losing friends, but at least we can go back and re-read them. :)

      Delete
  4. I love, love reading. And it's great to see someone else who does!

    I haven't read any of those books, unfortunately, but I must have a look at Fangirl! :)

    I also love when I realise I'm not even halfway through the book.

    http://naturallyjes.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yay, another reader!!! Readers unite!

      Delete
  5. This is so cool! I actually didn't know that Wicked was a book.
    I am quite intrigued by this. I wonder, do you watch once upon a time? I really liked the way they interpreted the story of Oz in that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would be interested in Wicked :) No, I don't watch Once Upon a Time, but the other day I was fast forwarding the ads on tv, and I saw the a green witch, and I quickly rewound to check and see if it was Wicked. It did make me want to start watching the show seeing that Oz was on there, I have to say!

      Delete
  6. I loooooooooove Wicked! I saw it in London on the West End and it was absolutely incredible! I never knew that it was a book though.. I might need to get it in book version! x

    www.bethfreckles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! It's a great read :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...