Saturday, 11 January 2014

Musings on Book Covers

Hello you,
I read quite a bit (a lot) of young adult fiction, as I am a young adult, and over time I have noticed a recurring theme in the covers of the books I'm reading. Side note: I can't really speak for other genres, although I imagine adult fiction is fairly similar. Nearly every single time there is a cover with a photo of a person, they are "perfect", skinny, unblemished and photoshopped when you look.


The Host
An Invisible Sign of My Own
The Lady of the Rivers
Magic Flutes
Fateful
Under the Never Sky
I'll Tell You Mine
Tully
Sister, Missing
Shadows
Delirium
Crazy


















But you so often don't. We are used to questioning what we see in magazines and in adverts because there has been so much coverage of that, I think we need to question our book covers too.
They say 'don't judge a book by its cover', but we undoubtedly do. This is natural; if the covers were all the same we would judge it by the title, you have to judge it on something, it's how we choose things. But the interesting thing is, there is a side-effect of this. The images of people. (Almost) Every human on the cover of a book is perfect, beautiful, photoshopped and unrealistic. The designer wants us to buy the book, and so therefore they make it as "attractive" as possible. Why is it less common to question how beauty is portrayed on a book cover than a magazine? Is it because we shouldn't judge the book by its cover, that the cover doesn't matter? Because it does. Everything does.

Lola and the Boy Next Door
City of Bones
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You
That Summer
Going Vintage
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood
Laguna Cove
Crossed
Forgotten
Stay
Charade
The Au Pairs

13 comments:

  1. I wish I could say that I DON'T judge a book by it's cover but I unfortunately do :(
    Then I find myself usually disappointed in the story.

    nathxngeorge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the funny thing about book covers, they can be very misleading, but most of the time they are a pretty good indicator of the book. :)

      Delete
  2. You are so right Emma. Everything on the book covers is so unreal these days! I guess they dont realize that their readers are normal, real people. Speaking for myself, I just get put off by those plastic images! I'd rather pick something I can relate to at a first glance! Dont you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Rajrupa, I'm glad you understand. I really just want to see average people on the cover from time to time, because it's not like all the characters are perfect anyway!

      Delete
  3. I don't think judging a book by its cover, its just like a first impression. When you go to a job interview you want to brush your teeth, hair and dress nice, to make a good first impression. The same thing should go for books, and publishers. The cover is the first thing we see, its our first impression on the book. Yes the inside might be better than a ugly cover, but still.

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually completely agree. That's a great way of putting it, a first impression. I was more addressing the way that both men and women's bodies are portrayed on book covers, even if the character inside the book isn't perfect, the cover's representation of them can make it seem that way. :)

      Delete
    2. I see where you're coming from. But I can admit that I do like some covers that have "perfect" people on them, I tend to like covers that have meaning. Or that have various elements from the story in them. For example some of my favorite covers are the Wither trilogy from Lauren DeStefano, each object on the cover is something we find later in the story.

      Anyways, thank you for stopping by my blog Turning Pages! I'm your newest follower!

      Lisa
      www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. just to let you know, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Keep up the good work! find the link here:

    http://quickgetmycamera.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-liebster-award.html

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks a bunch! I've actually already done the Liebster award as well as another award, and while I think they are a great idea, I want to post about other things too, and so I have decided not to do anymore for fear of becoming repetitive. But I am honoured that you nominated me. :)

      Delete
  5. This does definitely seem to be an increasing trend with book covers and I wish they'd stop it! Not only is it misleading in terms of the characters but it can also make a book seem really cheesy even if it's actually not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's just a phase, I'm sure things will change with time :) it's just the worst when book covers are misleading though isn't it?

      Delete
  6. I noticed it too on ya books, they're always so glossy and pretty, but there are ones that aren't like that. at the bookstores, I noticed all the covers all looks the same & you can tell right off they're ya books.

    & it is true what you say, people can't help but judge books by the cover. it is the first impression you get from books even the classic books have new covers that mirror these fancy images. I think that publishing company doesn't even might it as long as it sells books.

    hope you have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I have to say is one of things that bugs me the most is when the covers have no individuality, how do you tell the difference? :)

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...