Friday, 22 November 2013

Why are you so skinny?

Time for the second inspired post!
If you haven't read anything on this topic before, I would advise that you read one of the posts at the bottom first so that this makes more sense, as I don't cover very much of what there is to be said on the topic.
Here is the song: (reason here)



You know what? Most of the time, I'm happy with my weight. Most of the time, I see my body as a whole, and I love the way it feels to be inside it. That is, until someone reminds me that I am skinny.
"That's because I actually have fat on my bones."   "You need to eat some more pies!"
"Ugh, why are you so skinny?"
That is when I start to notice. I see the way my butt cheeks unnaturally sink in. How my wrists look unusually small. I feel the pain of my sticking out back-bone as it grates against the ground when I lie down. I see the way my hip-bones stick out, pulling my skin. I touch the rise and fall of my bumpy shoulders, one bone above the rest. I feel the awkwardness of my elbows, as they jar into my waist while I walk. I rub my neck in comfort, but all I touch is hard and linear. Outlines of what lies beneath. I look at my wrists and see the veins and arteries; blue, purple and pink. I clench my fist, only to see the white knobs of knuckles. My fingers splay and I see the skin faithfully following the bone.
So I thank-you, for commenting on my weight as if it were a compliment. Because every time you do I'm reminded that it's not.
What I'm really trying to say is that firstly, just because someone is the weight you want to be, doesn't mean that they are happy with their weight. And secondly that what you may think is a compliment, might not seem like one to the person receiving it, so be careful about the way you phrase things.
(I actually am happy with my weight, which is a bit below average, but not super skinny, and I have filled out since childhood when these comments were more common, but I still get them occasionally now)
Also, quite a few adults have made these sorts of comments, you would think they would know better? Imagine how much worse those comments would be if I wasn't happy with my weight.

Places with more information and go into this in more words than I do:


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you so much! I HATE it when people comment on my weight. It isn't okay to walk up to an overweight person and ask them why they're so fat, so why do people think its ok to do it to 'skinny' people? grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are so many double standards, and this one in particular is annoying because people don't seem to realise they're doing it!

      Delete
  2. I've nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award. This award is given to bloggers who bring sunshine to the blogging world. You can see more about the nomination and how to proceed at my blog.
    I really love your blog and wanted to include it in my list of nominees.
    xxx
    Alia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you so much! I will do it very soon!

      Delete
  3. I think you're absolutely right. People should stop and think twice before they make comments about a person's weight, whatever the person's size and even if they think they're paying a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, weight is such a personal thing, and there are so many reasons why people are the weight they are.

      Delete

Thank-you very much for commenting, you just brightened my day. <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...